Tuesday, September 3, 2013

The Kindness of Not Asking Why

"It's the friends you can call up at 4 a.m. that matter."
― Marlene Dietrich

A couple of weeks ago, there was a volunteer opportunity related to one of my children's activities.  A good friend of mine said, "Don't do it."  Her reasoning was quite sound.  I had recently completed two big volunteer commitments, and she urged me not to make another one.  But...  I did.  "It will be easy," I told her, "All I have to do is send out a few e-mails."  Well, it wasn't exactly that.  And when I was asked to do something that I could not do alone, I texted my friend to ask for her help.  (I think I texted her because I did not want to explain on the phone that I had gotten into more than I bargained for.)  My friend immediately replied, "Yes, I can do it no problem."  She didn't ask why I was asking her to do what I needed and certainly did not make me feel badly.  I appreciate that as much as the help.  There is most definitely kindness in helping a friend without asking why -- especially when your friend would feel a little foolish explaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment