Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Hope in Kindness

"Hope is like peace.  It is not a gift from God.  It is a gift only we can give one another."
Elie Wiesel

My son, who is almost 8, doesn't understand why people would fly planes into the Twin Towers.  "Didn't they know they would die, too?"

Today most of us paused to remember a day that none of us who lived through it can forget.  As Secretary of State John Kerry wrote to his colleagues --  a day "like none other."

As a family, we prayed for the people who died 12 years ago, especially for friends of people we knew -- two college friends of a dear friend of mine, a friend of my daughter's English teacher.  We prayed for them and for their families.  We also prayed for Syria.

Kindness seemed even more important today.  What else could we offer each other -- besides solace and prayers?  I was glad for a random string of kindnesses.

Looking for parking today, I stopped to ask a parking attendant if I could park in what looked like a space on the street.  Yes, he said, but I would have to pay.  Why didn't I park in his lot, which was free?  And he directed me to a parking spot. 

Later in the afternoon, with several children (mine and others) in the car, I asked my son to do his homework.  A friend of my daughter's offered to help him and encouraged him to get his books out.  An extraordinarily kind and gentle 12-year-old, she spoke to my son as though there was no age difference between them.

This evening, my son decided that he was going to make dinner.  "I can do it!" he insisted.  And, I thought, why not?  So his sisters and I waited and watched as he did his thing and managed to get all of us fed.  As I danced with him later in the kitchen, I hugged him extra tightly and counted my blessings.

In the wake of great sadness, there is hope and comfort in kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment