Monday, September 30, 2013

The Kindness of a Time Out

"Nowhere can man find a quieter or more untroubled retreat than in his own soul."
― Marcus Aurelius

There was something about today...  Several people with whom I spoke were harried, overwhelmed actually.  And I was feeling the same way.

Then this afternoon, I found myself in a room with nearly 50 others beginning the aptly titled Busy Person's Retreat.  Just taking a break, gathering with others to pray together -- for specific people, for peace, for our leaders -- brought a small measure of calm to my life and I hope to the others.  Before the retreat began, I thought, Am I crazy?  This is the worst possible week to do this!  I laughed to myself as I heard others echo my same thoughts.  Just when we think we can't take a break is probably the moment when we most need it.

Taking a break, a time out, gives us space to gather ourselves, to gain perspective and to go on.  It is a kindness that we need to face the challenges that inevitably come our way.  I think we also need it to appreciate the beauty of our blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment