Thursday, September 19, 2013

Kindness... Because You Can

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better.  It's not."
― Dr. Seuss

During a recent business trip, I met a young professional from Washington, D.C. who shared an anecdote about kindness that she observed.

"My colleague and I were walking to Potbelly sandwich shop to get milkshakes as a late afternoon snack. A man was sitting outside the door, and he asked us if we could help him get something to eat. We both kept walking inside, and I didn't even see that she acknowledged him. But then, as we were paying for our milkshakes, she also bought a $10 gift card. While I waited inside, she went out to give it to him. She wasn't even going to say anything, but I commented because I was so impressed by her kindness. She said, 'He asked if I could help him get something to eat, and I can.' The man was really surprised when she gave him the gift card, but a few minutes later came inside. When we left, he was ordering a sandwich! It really changed how I look at her, as she is not somebody who generally comes across as actively thinking of others. I still think of that act of kindness quite often."

I continue to be amazed by the impact of kindness -- long after the act is done.  Even when the kind acts seem small.  Even when you are not the direct beneficiary.  I think kindness stays with us because it is frequently a moment of profound connection with someone else.  And whether we experience it as a participant or an observer, kindness gives us the hope that we can be our best selves.

No comments:

Post a Comment