Wednesday, September 18, 2013

The Joy of Receiving a Gold Star for Kindness

"Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day."
Sally Koch

Sometimes kindness pays off in unexpected ways.  I had just boarded a flight earlier today when the flight attendant asked if anyone spoke Spanish.  Yes, I said.  She asked me if I would help her by translating instructions to an older woman passenger who did not understand English.  A little later, the flight attendant enlisted me again, this time to ask the passenger if she wanted something to drink.  A few minutes after, when the flight attendant came down the aisle with the beverage cart, she asked me to choose from several snacks.  As a prize!  For being so helpful, she said.  I must admit that it immediately boosted my mood and took me back decades to the memory of being handed back an assignment with a little gold star on it.  It also reminded me of my friend who earlier this week wrote about the kindness of positive feedback.  Kindness seems to have a very real domino -- and boomerang -- effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment