Saturday, September 26, 2015

Kindness and Birthday Blessings

"The greatest gift of life is friendship, and I have received it."
~ Hubert H. Humphrey

I love birthdays -- not sure why.  Maybe it is just a day to reflect on and savor my blessings.  So if someone asked me what I did on my birthday, I would say that -- I enjoyed my blessings.  Today I was blessed with more birthday wishes than I could ever have imagined.  The day began with our fire alarm going off -- yep, too many candles -- and a visit from the Fire Department.  Really.  When I made it to my phone, there were texts and emails.  Three of my college friends who live in different cities got together for a conference call and a Happy Birthday rendition.  A married couple from out of town sent me a gift that was beyond thoughtful -- from the choice of books to the wrapping (cheetah paper).  I heard from friends from all different parts of my life -- elementary school friends, a friend from summer camp, a guy from the flooring installation company I have been dealing with (yep, that was a big surprise), college friends, work friends, mom friends, our violin teacher ...  I even had an unplanned visit from one of my oldest friends whom I hadn't seen in ages.  All the thoughtfulness reminded me again that the greatest gift in life is the gift of friendship.  And I treasure every one!

No comments:

Post a Comment