Wednesday, September 2, 2015

The Kindness of an Unexpected Lunch Treat

"A friend may well be reckoned the masterpiece of nature."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

One of my favorite people is a former boss of mine.  A true grande dame, she is elegant, wise and a joy to be around.  She celebrated a birthday recently and so we made plans to go to lunch.  I arrived a few minutes early, gave the hostess my credit card and explained that I wanted to make sure that I paid for lunch.  As I waited for my friend at the front of the restaurant, a waiter came to tell me that she was already seated.  We had a lovely lunch as always.  I was a bit smug, content in the knowledge that I would finally be able to treat her.  When the waiter brought the bill, he gave it to her and returned my credit card.  "Sorry," he said, "She had already taken care of it."  I looked at her in disbelief and she smiled with satisfaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment