Sunday, September 27, 2015

The Kindness of Specificity

"Friendship improves happiness and abates misery, by the doubling of our joy and the dividing of our grief."
~ Marcus Tullius Cicero

A friend and I have been trying to get together for coffee or lunch for months.  It may even be a year.  Whenever we run into each other, we say that we will get together but our busy lives seem to get in the way of our actually setting up a day.  And this is someone with whom I would actually love to spend time.  Our closeness comes from an at-times-nightmarish volunteer experience.  We emerged from it friends.  And we laugh when we see each other because most things seem funny after that experience.  I laughed today when I received an email from her.  She asked if we could meet for coffee at a strangely precise time (45 minutes after the hour) on a specific day and at a certain place.  In fact, she even told me at what table we should sit.  What could I do but say yes?  And appreciate the kindness of her effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment