Friday, September 25, 2015

The Kindness of Swatting the Sweat

"There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends.  I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature."
~ Jane Austen

On a hot and humid evening, I accompanied my children to a high school football game.  Many years ago, it would have been the highlight of my weekend or even my month.  But at this point in my life, it was a challenge at the end of a busy week.  Throngs of young people, heat and many stairs.  I was dispatched to buy refreshments for my children and I asked my lovely friend to accompany me, which of course she did without hesitating and with her ever-present smile.  On our way back with the food, my hands were full but I was convinced that I had a mosquito on the side of my face that I could not swat.  I kept asking my friend if she could see a bug.  Finally, she decided to brush my face to see if she could remove whatever was driving me crazy.  "It was sweat," my friend said.  "Great," I said, "Now you are wiping away my sweat."  "What are friends for," she replied, "Wiping away sweat and moving bodies."  As we continued on our way, I realized how much her company meant to me at the end of a long week.

No comments:

Post a Comment