Monday, December 9, 2013

Kindness and Christmas Ties

"I don't think Christmas is necessarily about things.  It's about being good to one another, it's about the Christian ethic, it's about kindness."
― Carrie Fisher

Ah, Christmas, that wonderful time of year...  I love sending out my Christmas cards and I like shopping for presents.  I try to begin both things early -- never early enough, of course.  But one of the Christmas tasks that frequently presents a challenge is Christmas outfits for school performances.

This year's challenge was finding a Christmas bow tie for my son.  By the time I realized that it was a very hard item to find locally, there was no time to order it on-line.  In my search, I asked other mothers where they had found theirs.  Two of the mothers had acted quickly after receiving the teacher's e-mail and ordered the bow ties on-line.  Both mothers ended up with an extra and offered to let me have it.  When I sent my own mother an S.O.S. text about the bow tie, she immediately went into commando-shopping mode.  (She is adept at operating quickly in urgent shopping situations.)

Thanks to the kindness and generosity of mothers, including my own, my son is all set for his Christmas show.  Amid the hustle and bustle of the Christmas season, it feels good to experience the kindness of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment