Sunday, December 22, 2013

The Kindness of Showing Up

"If you manage to make it to some semblance of adulthood, just showing up turns out to be one of the kindest, most selfless things you can do for someone."
―Tim Kreider

At a children's orchestra performance this afternoon, I sat in front of the father of a mother I know.  He brought to the performance his 91-year-old mother-in-law and her younger sister, age 90.  I had seen this same trio at another event last week.  Both times, they came to watch this mother's daughter play the violin.  They arrived early and were at ease talking with those around them as we all waited for the performance to begin.  I marveled at how happy they seemed to be there.  They clearly enjoyed watching their granddaughter/great-granddaughter perform.  But they were also there for her mother, who I have no doubt felt supported by the kindness of her own marvelous trio.

No comments:

Post a Comment