Tuesday, December 3, 2013

The Kindness of My Good Angel

"Angels are like diamonds.  They can't be made, you have to find them.  Each one is unique."
― Jaclyn Smith

A couple of years ago, I held a volunteer position at my children's school.  It required quite a bit of organization and attention to detail, and it was hard to be on top of everything.  Enter my Good Angel.  The woman who held the post before me was the most amazing former office holder I have ever seen.  She not only met with me to share her files and advice, but also -- and most incredibly -- for the two years that I held this volunteer position, she regularly reminded me of things.  Her advice and gentle reminders came nonintrusively through texts and e-mails.  (I used to tell her that if former presidents of countries supported their successors the way that she did, we would have terrific continuation of leadership and fewer problems.)  When I ended my commitment, I was sorry to lose the constant interaction with her.

I was reminded of my Good Angel today because she texted to let me know that someone we knew had had a minor health problem.  Her kindness makes me feel as though I have a Good Angel on my shoulder, always helping me to be a better version of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment