Monday, December 16, 2013

Kindness from Vendors

"Those who are happiest are those who do the most for others."
― Booker T. Washington

I had to take my car into the shop today and it reminded me why I drive the type of car I do.  It's mostly because of the terrific service I receive in the dealership's service department, to which I have been going for nearly 15 years.  As strange as it sounds, I actually enjoy going to this place.  When I think about why I feel that way, it's because I am treated with kindness.  I am always greeted with friendliness by my service advisor, who has the great habit of promptly returning phone calls.  He is helpful and kind, and each time I see him, I end up learning something about cars that I didn't know before.  He is extraordinarily patient.  In fact, the other day I said to him, "You know who you are dealing with," after he carefully explained to me why I did not have to panic if a certain light came on in the car.  He also will arrange a ride for me if I need to go somewhere.  Whenever the service manager sees me, she comes out of her office to see what I am doing there and how she can help. 

We all deal with a number of vendors and it is amazing to me how experiences can vary.  As far as I can tell, it has nothing to do with industry or money spent.  Just last week, I visited an office that I frequent and it was -- and is generally -- an unpleasant experience.  I am not sure why it is easier to accomplish what you need with certain vendors and not others.  I think some people understand that being kind is just a more pleasant way to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment