Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Kindness and the Magical Moments of Christmas

"My idea of Christmas, whether old-fashioned or modern, is very simple: loving others.  Come to think of it, why do we have to wait for Christmas to do that?"
― Bob Hope

I love Christmas.  I was wondering why the other day...  I thought it might be the nostalgia for the seemingly magical memories of childhood.  But this morning, I was reminded of the present moments that make Christmas very special to me year after year.  There are moments of kindness that I tie to the season.

This morning, I was at a market that I frequent talking with one of the employees who was making up a basket for me.  Another employee, an older woman, came by to say good morning and have a chat before beginning her day.  The older employee pretended to whisper as she told me how talented the employee who works in floral is.  When the visiting employee left, the one who was working on my basket said: "She has a good heart, that one.  Always thinking of everyone else."

Later in the day, one of my daughters shared how appreciative her English teacher was for his Christmas gift.  He apparently made a big deal about her having given him a present.  (The gift was nothing major -- it was a pound cake.)  My daughter told me the story twice.  And I thought how amazing the impact that a kindness can have -- especially from an adult, especially from a teacher...

Thankfully, there are moments of kindness all year long.  But there is something special about the ones at Christmastime.  Maybe the season just gives us the inspiration to be a slightly better version of ourselves.  Whatever the reason, I delight in the magical moments of Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment