Monday, December 2, 2013

The Kindness of Acceptance

"Acceptance doesn't mean resignation; it means understanding that something is what it is and there's got to be a way through it."
―Michael J. Fox

Today I had to call a friend whom I didn't want to call.  I needed to tell her that I could not join her on a journey that both of us were hoping we might do together.  I was going to put off the call for another day, but I mustered my courage and picked up the telephone.  While I should not have been surprised, I was relieved to hear genuine acceptance on her part.  She did not try to convince me that I might be able to do it.  She said it was fine -- and truly meant it.  And she believed my promise to be there for her, to help her in any way that I could.  This friend of mine has incredible faith that things work out as they should.  I am always encouraged by her example and I was especially glad to find her kindness on the other end of the telephone today.

No comments:

Post a Comment