Sunday, August 24, 2014

Remembering a Long-Ago Kindness

"To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die."
― Thomas Campbell

One of the first people I met in college was a handsome young man from Wisconsin who had spent a year in Spain after high school.  As freshmen in the same program, we became fast friends.  In our second or third year, he participated in a university program in Thailand working with refugees along the border.  He brought me back a set of three fabric-covered boxes that I have carried with me from move to move for more than three decades.  I store my sewing supplies in them and they always make me smile and think of Michael -- one of the first friends I made in college.  He returned to Thailand and did not graduate with us.  We lost touch. 

Over the years, I often wondered what happened to him.  Periodically, I would Google him with no luck.  This summer, I found him with another Google search -- I was saddened to learn that he had died last year in Thailand.  Although he had lived in the States, that experience during college clearly impacted him.  His obituary said that he returned to Thailand to work more than once, first with the United Nations and then with his own company.

I keep the boxes he gave me in my closet.  And I suspect they will always be with me.  When I see them, I think of his kindness all those years ago and they remind me of our friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment