Saturday, August 9, 2014

The Kindness of a Teenager's Postcard

"Alongside my 'no e-mail' policy, I resolve to make better use of the wonderful Royal Mail, and send letters and postcards to people.  There is huge pleasure in writing a letter, putting it in an envelope and sticking the stamp on it.  And huge pleasure in receiving real letters, too."
― Tom Hodgkinson

Today we received a postcard from the daughter of one of my dearest friends who was attending debate camp in another state.  That a teenager had handwritten and mailed a postcard itself seemed pretty amazing.  But when I read it, I also was impressed with the thoughtfulness and kindness that she expressed.  First, she wrote the postcard to our whole family and included each of the children's names.  She told us how things were going for her, and then said that she missed us and was hoping to see us soon at a favorite restaurant that we frequent together.  Finally, she shared that she had chosen a postcard with instruments on the front because we like music.  My children were thrilled to receive the postcard and each took turns reading it.  I was glad to have it as an example for them -- especially as they look up to this teenager.

When I mentioned this teenager's thoughtfulness to her mother, she replied:  "I did not even think of telling her to do it!"  Another surprise.

The postcard is now hanging on our refrigerator.  And for me, it is a reminder that -- despite the craziness of the Internet and all the electronic gadgets -- some teenagers can still put pen to postcard and send kindness through the good ol' U.S. mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment