Tuesday, August 5, 2014

The Kindness of A Young Teacher's Generosity

"Generosity is the most natural outward expression of an inner attitude of compassion and loving-kindness."
~ Dalai Lama

The coming school year is much closer than the end of the last one, but I am still thinking about the kindness of one of my children's teachers.

I was one of two "Room Mothers" for my son's class. It was not onerous work. For the most part, my job involved sending e-mail reminders, fielding calls from parents, and helping to organize a few class events during the year.

At the end of the school year, my son's teacher gave me a gift certificate to my favorite store. I haven't used it yet, but when I think about what I will buy, I appreciate her generosity -- again.  I know that teachers, especially newer ones like her, don't make a lot of money, so I especially value her thoughtfulness.

I continue to be amazed by the long-term or continuing impact of kindness.  Like a nice memory, remembering a kindness always makes us feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment