Saturday, August 23, 2014

The Kindness of Camaraderie Among Moms

"The fastest way to break the cycle of perfectionism and become a fearless mother is to give up the idea of doing it perfectly -- indeed to embrace uncertainty and imperfection."
Arianna Huffington.

I found myself back at the uniform store today -- even though we had gone last weekend to finish up our back-to-school shopping -- and I ran into a couple of moms I know.  One had bought the wrong size tie for her son (who knew ties came in different sizes!) and the other had bought socks that were too small.  I had bought the wrong size skirt for one of my children and I had forgotten a couple of other items.  Although the line at the cashier was not as long as last Saturday, we were still there for a while, so we talked... about our uniform buying misadventures, about summer camps, about how fast our children grow.  These were not one-upping conversations, but rather sharing and connecting conversations.  There is a kindness when moms can come together to share and connect, to embrace our imperfections and to realize that we are very much on this journey together.

No comments:

Post a Comment