Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The Kindness of Reminding Our Friends that We Care

"Friendship... is not something you learn in school.  But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything."
Muhammad Ali

The beginning of the school year brings with it the awkwardness of adjusting to a different schedule and the unpleasantness of heavy traffic.  Everyone seems a little busier and even harried until things settle down. 

So I was delighted to receive a call from a mom friend whom I used to see fairly regularly and with whom I did a fair amount of volunteer work.  But our children are now at different schools and she had been away for part of the summer, so we haven't seen each other much.  In the midst of new school year craziness, she called to say hello. 

After we exchanged updates, my friend said that she wanted me to know that she greatly values me as a friend even though she doesn't reach out as much as might make sense.  "Don't give up on me," she said.  "Never!" I replied.  

I, too, value our friendship.  And even though my friend doesn't think that she makes as much of an effort as she should, her kindness in making the call was a nice reminder of what I already know -- that our friendship is important to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment