Sunday, August 10, 2014

The Kindness in an Invitation... and in Reading

"We shouldn't teach great books; we should teach a love of reading."
― B.F. Skinner

I found a lovely invitation on my door this morning.  It was for my children from a friend of ours who is visiting from out of state.  She has a home in our same community, and in the 13 years that we have known her and her husband, we have become very good friends.  They also have become very fond of our children and are incredibly thoughtful toward them.

On this particular occasion, our friend had left a beautiful hand-made card inviting my children to a story reading later in the afternoon.  It would include popcorn, she added. 

At the appointed hour, we went to visit our friends.  As usual, there was a lovely table set out.  And my friend had the book ready.  She read to my children for an hour and completely captured their attention with her animated reading, which included different voices, gestures and even questions about vocabulary words.  The experience was incredibly special.  I have no doubt that my children will always remember it.

No comments:

Post a Comment