Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Kindness Memory

God gave us memory so that we might have roses in December.”
~ James M. Barrie

We have all heard about muscle memory.  Well, I think there is kindness memory, too.  I recently traveled to a mid-western city for a business meeting.  It is the third year in a row that I attend this meeting in the same city.  While there, I remembered my cab ride back to the airport two years before.  I was very flustered because I was trying to make it to the airport in time for a flight, so that I could get home before one of my children’s birthdays the next day.  I also was in a panic because I remembered that I had forgotten to order the cake at the restaurant where we would be celebrating, but since I was in a rush, I knew I did not have the time to negotiate things on the phone.  I called one of my dearest mom friends because I knew that she would call the restaurant and make sure that we had a cake.  In addition to agreeing to do that for me, my friend calmed me down and told me that if I missed my flight, there would be another the same evening.  I guess it’s no surprise that I keep a little gift tag she gave me more than a year ago tucked inside my agenda.  It reads, “The greatest gift we give each other is peace of mind.”

No comments:

Post a Comment